Skip to main content

A Legal Guide for Domestic Partners in Texas

Domestic partners, whether same sex or opposite sex, often inquire about what documents they need in place to ensure that their children are taken care of, their partner is protected, and/or that their wishes are carried out.  I recommend the following:

Last Will and Testament - if you have children, property and vehicles, then it's critical that you have a valid will that appoints your partner as the executor, beneficiary and/or guardian of your children.  Guardianship is especially important if you are raising children together and your partner has not had the opportunity to adopt them yet or if there is no other natural parent with parental rights (donor).

General Durable Power of Attorney - This document is crucial should you become incapacitated and can no longer make decisions or manage your finances.  Once you designate your partner as your agent, your partner will have the ability to make financial decisions on your behalf.  However, it is important to to note that you can choose whether your partner will have said power immediately upon signing or upon a doctor finding that you are unable to make decisions.  
Healthcare Power of Attorney - Like the above power of attorney, most couples designate their partner as their agent or the one who will make healthcare decisions on their behalf.  It can be effective immediately or upon a physician's declaration that you are unfit.  I cannot emphasize the importance of this document for couples who are not married according to Texas law. Hospitals often bar visitors who are not related to an incapacitated patient by blood or marriage even though President Obama mandated that nearly all hospitals extend visitation rights to the partners of gay men and lesbians and respect patients' choices about who may make critical health-care decisions for them.  All unmarried couples still bear the risk of being turned away if their partner who is in the hospital has not nominated his life partner as his agent.  Proper planning and a valid Healthcare Power of Attorney can avoid this impediment. 
Advanced Directive to Physician (Living Will) - Should one become unable to make his or her wishes known, this document gives clear directions for medical treatment in the event that you have a terminal irreversible condition.   It is important to make the Healthcare Power of Attorney and the Living Will documents available to physicians for placement in medical records and if necessary, with the nurse’s station, so that the visit with your loved one will not be fraught with further stress or distraction.
Appointment of Agent for the Disposition of Remains - It is also crucial for you to designate your partner as your Agent to ensure that your wishes regarding your body are carried out.  If you do not have this document in place, Texas law provides that it is your next of kin who shall decide.  This means your closest blood relative – children, parents, siblings which can be problematic if you have different beliefs on cremation vs. burial, etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Texas State Affairs Committee hears testimony on two adoption bills

On March 27, 2017, Ms. Cochran-Green testified before the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee on two adoption-related bills, SB 329 and
SB 1362.  You can watch the live testimony here. Ms. Cochran-Green's testimony is the Part 1 of the State Affairs Meeting on March 27.  Her testimony is in the second hour and she testified separately on each bill.

SB1362 is authored by Sen. Campbell in which she proposes to changes to the voluntary adoption registry.  Ms. Cochran-Green testified her opposition to the bill because much of the proposed bill is already codified in the Texas Family Code and is common practice among adoption agencies.

SB329 is authored by Senator Creighton in which he proposes to allow adult adopted persons to obtain their original birth certificates at the age of 18.  Ms. Cochran-Green supports this bill as it allows adopted persons in closed adoptions primarily from the 1930s-1990s to seek reunions with their birth parents and obtain medical history that is neede…

Mother's Day: A Time for Reflection and Celebration

This is the time of year that we celebrate motherhood, not only the day-to-day life of being a mom, but also the journey itself.  For some, infertility challenges that journey.  Thankfully there are more options than ever for those who want to become a mother. For many, like myself, the solution was adoption.  I am so thankful for the miracle of adoption, but is it right for you?  The following questions may help you find your answer.
Are you emotionally prepared for adoption? As with making any family planning decision, adoption requires a lot of self-reflection. It also requires that you come to terms with any grief you are experiencing resulting from infertility issues. A friend who adopted told me that she decided to adopt because the chances of becoming a parent were much higher than IVF. That’s true, but there are other challenges to consider. Open adoption is now the norm and it is recommended by experts in the field. Consequently, birth parents will become a part of your famil…

Free Workshop for Divorcees and Widows held in Dripping Springs on Friday, October 14

Jennifer Cochran-Green is hosting a workshop for divorcing and grieving women to approach legal and financial decisions in confidence.  The workshop will  be held  on Friday, October 14, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Dripping Springs Community Library at 501 Sportsplex Drive in Dripping Springs. The format is a lunch and learn where light refreshments will be provided and attendees may bring their own lunch if they choose. Jennifer will deliver a presentation focused on issues impacting children immediately after a death of a parent or during divorce.  Leanne Layne, an estate planning attorney with Kernodle Layne Group and Amy Colton, Wealth Advisor with Forefront Wealth Solutions will deliver presentations on making decisions about estate planning and financial issues. 
"I'm so excited to bring this seminar to the Dripping Springs community at no cost to attendees.  Throughout my career, I have found that many women are often caught off guard by their finances when in…