Skip to main content

Bridging the Communication Gap

For many children, it is a difficult adjustment when Mom or Dad leaves the home and they don't get to see them very often.  The typical possession in a pending divorce and after is that the noncustodial parent has 1st, 3rd, 5th weekends and two hours on Thursday evenings.  Of course, this is a far cry from getting to see Mom and Dad every day when Mom and Dad were living together.  Consequently, divorces wreaks havoc on the noncustodial parent's relationship as such infrequent contact makes it difficult to foster a relationship with children, especially young ones.  We all know that the younger kids have a very short attention span and often do not want to talk on the phone long enough to have a meaningful exchange.  But there is options.  Attorneys are now proposing and Courts are approving the use of video conferencing such as Skype or Face Time, etc.  Some of my clients use Skype to read their children a bedtime story or just to catch up.  They report that the children are much more engaged in their conversations and although it's not the same as being there with their children, it's preferable to a quick hi/bye call.  Of course, it does require a computer, the proper applications, and cooperation from the parent who has possession when you're calling in.  Some parents are very protective of the time that they have the children and do not want the other parent to monopolize that time.  Both parents would be wise to foster the relationship between the children and the other parent but it is a delicate balance.

Popular posts from this blog

Texas State Affairs Committee hears testimony on two adoption bills

On March 27, 2017, Ms. Cochran-Green testified before the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee on two adoption-related bills, SB 329 and
SB 1362.  You can watch the live testimony here. Ms. Cochran-Green's testimony is the Part 1 of the State Affairs Meeting on March 27.  Her testimony is in the second hour and she testified separately on each bill.

SB1362 is authored by Sen. Campbell in which she proposes to changes to the voluntary adoption registry.  Ms. Cochran-Green testified her opposition to the bill because much of the proposed bill is already codified in the Texas Family Code and is common practice among adoption agencies.

SB329 is authored by Senator Creighton in which he proposes to allow adult adopted persons to obtain their original birth certificates at the age of 18.  Ms. Cochran-Green supports this bill as it allows adopted persons in closed adoptions primarily from the 1930s-1990s to seek reunions with their birth parents and obtain medical history that is neede…

Mother's Day: A Time for Reflection and Celebration

This is the time of year that we celebrate motherhood, not only the day-to-day life of being a mom, but also the journey itself.  For some, infertility challenges that journey.  Thankfully there are more options than ever for those who want to become a mother. For many, like myself, the solution was adoption.  I am so thankful for the miracle of adoption, but is it right for you?  The following questions may help you find your answer.
Are you emotionally prepared for adoption? As with making any family planning decision, adoption requires a lot of self-reflection. It also requires that you come to terms with any grief you are experiencing resulting from infertility issues. A friend who adopted told me that she decided to adopt because the chances of becoming a parent were much higher than IVF. That’s true, but there are other challenges to consider. Open adoption is now the norm and it is recommended by experts in the field. Consequently, birth parents will become a part of your famil…

Free Workshop for Divorcees and Widows held in Dripping Springs on Friday, October 14

Jennifer Cochran-Green is hosting a workshop for divorcing and grieving women to approach legal and financial decisions in confidence.  The workshop will  be held  on Friday, October 14, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Dripping Springs Community Library at 501 Sportsplex Drive in Dripping Springs. The format is a lunch and learn where light refreshments will be provided and attendees may bring their own lunch if they choose. Jennifer will deliver a presentation focused on issues impacting children immediately after a death of a parent or during divorce.  Leanne Layne, an estate planning attorney with Kernodle Layne Group and Amy Colton, Wealth Advisor with Forefront Wealth Solutions will deliver presentations on making decisions about estate planning and financial issues. 
"I'm so excited to bring this seminar to the Dripping Springs community at no cost to attendees.  Throughout my career, I have found that many women are often caught off guard by their finances when in…