Skip to main content

Don't "fall" into the coparenting holiday dilemmas

It's beginning to feel like fall here in central Texas and excitement is in the air for our favorite holidays - Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  It's also the time of year for coparenting holiday challenges.  With the increase of divorce, two separate homes for children, the addition of step-parents, siblings and extended family, it's a challenge for all families to schedule all those trick or treating sessions, family dinners and gift exchanges.  As an attorney, I often hear from my clients this time of year for advice on how to handle these challenges without resorting to "attorneys" and "court" to enforce the orders regarding holiday possession.  In most instances, the final orders are very specific as to which parent has each holiday.  However, I often have to remind my clients that the spirit of a final order is to facilitate a coparenting relationship and not as the be all end all for everything.  You can agree to something entirely different from the what's outlined in the final order.  Work together to do what is your children's best interests for every holiday.  Remain flexible.  Be agreeable.  Meet each other halfway. If your ex-husband has children with his second wife, then work with him to allow your children to create Christmas memories with their younger siblings on Christmas Day and other holidays.  You and your children will be glad that you did.

Popular posts from this blog

Texas State Affairs Committee hears testimony on two adoption bills

On March 27, 2017, Ms. Cochran-Green testified before the Texas Senate State Affairs Committee on two adoption-related bills, SB 329 and
SB 1362.  You can watch the live testimony here. Ms. Cochran-Green's testimony is the Part 1 of the State Affairs Meeting on March 27.  Her testimony is in the second hour and she testified separately on each bill.

SB1362 is authored by Sen. Campbell in which she proposes changes to the voluntary adoption registry.  Ms. Cochran-Green testified her opposition to the bill as much of the proposed bill is already codified in the Texas Family Code and is common practice among adoption agencies.

SB329 is authored by Senator Creighton in which he proposes to allow adult adopted persons to obtain their original birth certificates at the age of 18.  Ms. Cochran-Green supports this bill as it allows adopted persons in closed adoptions primarily from the 1930s-1990s to seek reunions with their birth parents and obtain medical history that is needed.  This…

Mother's Day: A Time for Reflection and Celebration

This is the time of year that we celebrate motherhood, not only the day-to-day life of being a mom, but also the journey itself.  For some, infertility challenges that journey.  Thankfully there are more options than ever for those who want to become a mother. For many, like myself, the solution was adoption.  I am so thankful for the miracle of adoption, but is it right for you?  The following questions may help you find your answer.
Are you emotionally prepared for adoption? As with making any family planning decision, adoption requires a lot of self-reflection. It also requires that you come to terms with any grief you are experiencing resulting from infertility issues. A friend who adopted told me that she decided to adopt because the chances of becoming a parent were much higher than IVF. That’s true, but there are other challenges to consider. Open adoption is now the norm and it is recommended by experts in the field. Consequently, birth parents will become a part of your famil…

Documents Every Graduating Senior and College Student Needs

Now that high school graduation is upon us, it’s a time for celebration and reflection for parents and students alike. For parents, you now face the fact that your little bird is leaving the nest.  Is he or she ready? Legally, they are adults now and entitled to privacy protections. This means that even though your child may be relying on your financial support, privacy laws prohibit financial institutions, medical providers and colleges from disclosing private information concerning your child unless authorized. In case of an emergency, your child needs the following documents in place for you to be able to help them and make decisions on their behalf:
  1. Durable Power of Attorney: This document allows you to manage their financial affairs (either immediately or in the future) should they travel abroad or become mentally or physically unable to do so. This includes managing their financial accounts,  renewing their car registration, or filing a tax return on their behalf.
  2. Medica…