Back to school is the perfect occasion for a fresh start. If you've had a less than ideal coparenting relationship, make a change! Talk to the other parent about assigning back to school tasks such as:
- Who pays for / shops for school supplies and backpacks
- Who pays for / shops for school clothes
- Who pays for school lunches
- Back to School Night at the child's school
- Who takes / picks up children from school on that magical first day
If tempers flare, take a deep breath and remember this is supposed to be fun and exciting and a memorable experience for you as parents and especially for the children. Be a successful coparent by presenting solutions v. problems, remaining flexible, encouraging the involvement of the other parent in all the "fun" stuff not just writing the check, and above all NOT taking the bait if the other parent tries to go off-topic.
Read the following articles for more "back to school" coparenting tips: